Even the incident of the hoverboards catching fire is not so frequently reported, then we have decided to get an expert opinion on this
We brought this question to a professor of material science he replied and gave his point of view.
Before reading his point of view, please keep in mind that he is teaching in a reputed educational institute. So his opinion matters a lot. The professor said all the other devices also use the lithium batteries but the firing episode is found relatively more in hoverboards.
This is because the hoverboard’s batteries are more powerful than the other devices and when the professor is mentioning the other device we were thinking that he is talking about the mobile phone laptops small drones etc.
The hoverboard needs strong batteries as they need to carry the weight of the person on it. Not only on the plane surface but the hoverboards specially designed to carry the weight of the person on it even in the off-road situations.
The professor is a genius. He didn’t conclude his talk on the reasons why the hoverboard caught fire. He continued his conversation till he provided us with the precautionary measures on how we can avoid this situation in which the hoverboards catch fire.
The professor gave two remedies to it. Surprisingly both are related to the charging of the hoverboard.
One of my friends who accompanied me to the office of the professor is John and he is a very interesting fellow. He has some very interesting questions for the professor.
He said that last week he came from Shanghai. He was there with his colleagues. All office colleagues have laptops and mobile phones. Hundreds of other passengers who accompanied him in the flight have laptops and mobile phones. All mobile phones and laptops have lithium batteries. if this is so that this is the lithium battery that is actually responsible for causing the explosion.
Then the flight should have exploded. Not only this flight but all the flights carry passengers with hundreds and thousands of mobile phones and laptops in them.Beside that the carriers those carry the laptops mobiles and the other gadgets with lithium batteries. Most of the time carry hundreds and thousands of pieces of such stuff. We never heard that any of such stuff caught fire because of this reason.
From this conversation, I concluded that my friend asked a very good question. and doubted that maybe the professor had a false opinion about the lithium-ion batteries.
John continued while narrating the incident that the house was completely burned and the family suffered a lot. The reason was that the hoverboard caught fire.
John even knew the details of the incident so he started to tell me and the professor. Actually the 12-year-old kid of the family had a hoverboard. It has been only a few days since he started to use it. The kid plugged in the Hoverboard for charging. The mother of the kid said that she saw that suddenly the fire started to come out of it. It was like the fireworks she narrated. We never get the chance to put off the fire. In front of her eyes the power house got fire and completely burnt.
This was the second incident. The circumstances were nearly the same only difference was the location. In this incident, the owner of the house had a hoverboard. He put the hoverboard on the charger to charge the battery. The hoverboard exploded while it was charging and caught fire. Luckily someone was in the house who saw this incident and stopped the fire to expand. The reason is because of which the hoverboard exploded in both cases.
professor while commenting on these two incidents narrated by John said: that I told you earlier that do take care while charging the hoverboards otherwise they may explode. In both cases the hoverboard was charging and was actually overcharged. John replied yes you are right in both the cases the hoverboard was charging. Even after the New York incident, the firefighter department issued a warning to the citizens to do take care of the hoverboards while charging because these hoverboards may explode while charging.
I agree with what professor John said. Still, I have some doubts in my mind which I want you to please clarify if possible.
Ok please continue the professor replied.
The third incident which I want to share with you professor happened in Washington. This was a mall in which the hoverboard exploded.
Amazing thing is that the hoverboard was not charging at that time.
This thing disturbs me a lot. In the first two cases that we discussed, the hoverboard was actually charging while it exploded. But in the case of the mall the hoverboard was not on the charging.
who knows maybe it is a possibility that a hoverboard was charging while it exploded. This is also a possibility that they just finished hoverboard charging. The battery has already been overcharged and it just exploded. I added in the conversation.
John looked at me and said yes it may be a possibility we should give the benefit of the doubt it can be like that. Another incident was actually when the person was riding the hoverboard.
This was one of the most dangerous incidents which I am going to tell you guys, now John continued to narrate the incidents.
This was the Friday when the kid named Code was riding on his scooter. The two-wheeled scooter is commonly known as the hoverboard. It exploded and got into the fire. Code instantly jumped from a hoverboard. Got his camera and started to film the burning hoverboard. He was so afraid that he called his mother. Her mother realizing the intensity of the situation brought some baking soda with her. She ran towards the garage where the hoverboard was burning. Put some baking soda on it. Both mother and his son were hoping that the hoverboard would stop burning after this. But no use. It keeps on burning even after that.
In the movie which he uploaded this can be observed that the boy put the water on the hoverboard with the help of the cup and after three or four cups of water the fire stopped.
Look now in this case neither in the power board was on charging nor the battery was in the position of being overcharged. John finished
The professor said to John yes I understand my dear. The reason why the hoverboard got fire is of the bad quality of the lithium battery. Hoverboards with bad quality lithium batteries will certainly explode.
Lithium in itself is highly explosive material. This can get fire really very easily. We should always inquire about the lithium battery before purchasing the power board.
Unfortunately for quite some time in different areas of the world the people having lust for money build the factories. In such factories, they manufacture substandard products. The labor in those parts of the world where factories are situated is very very poor. The chances of employment in those areas are also very low.
So they Deploy those poor people, use substandard material and manufacture low quality products.and so can earn huge profits by making these pathetic products.
These products made in those substandard factories are sometimes sold by very big names or sold as fake brands. These products are imported and used even in the United States. The lithium battery has no exception too. Some of such cheap lithium batteries are used in the hoverboard and sold even in America.
This is a very dangerous professor, that someone is riding the hoverboard and it explodes. I added myself to the conversation with this comment.
Yes, this is a really very inhuman professor replied. People put at stake human lives just for a small amount of the profit. Professor continued to talk.
It’s a great conversation professor John said but if you can please conclude what we can do to save ourselves from this type of incident..There are lots of lots of friends out there like me who really love to ride a hoverboard. but due to these types of incidents I am really really afraid to ride.
Yes, you are right let me give you some practical suggestions which you can apply and save yourself from this type of incidents.
One other good news is, hoverboard burning episodes are a story of past days, reported almost 5 years back. Now technology has improved so much that I don’t think so that this type of incident will occur ever again.Moreover UL laboratories are working hard to test the quality measure those can ensure to avoid any such bad incident.
Even then I will give you some practical suggestions to save yourself from this type of accident.
Thank you very much professor we took your lots of time but this will certainly educate us and our readers too. We thank the professor and left.
I hope you too will find this discussion fruitful as i found it so stay safe and happy riding.