Urban commuters increasingly turn to lightweight, portable electric scooters as the perfect solution for short and multi-modal trips. These compact e-scooters are easy to fold up and carry onto buses, trains, or taxis for convenient first and last mile transportation.
This in-depth guide will review the 5 best lightweight electric scooters available in 2024. We’ll look at key factors like weight, portability, ride comfort, speed, and value to help you select the ideal lightweight kick scooter for your daily commute or travel adventures.
When evaluating lightweight electric scooters, keep these key criteria in mind:
- Weight – The whole point of a lightweight e-scooter is easy portability, so seek out models at 15kg or less. The lightest options weigh as little as 8kg for true featherweight carrying. Save your energy for the fun part – riding!
- Folding Mechanism – To easily stash your scooter in a car, on the bus, or in your office, it must fold into a compact size. Look for quick, one-handed folding designs that securely lock in place—the best fold into a self-standing upright position.
- Wheels – Smaller 6 to 8 inch wheels improve portability but can sacrifice comfort across bumps and cracks. Air-filled tires help cushion the ride but can get flats. Larger airless tires offer solid performance without maintenance concerns. Evaluate your riding environment to select the ideal wheel size and type.
- Battery Range – The downside of a lightweight frame is a shorter battery range, typically 10 to 15 miles versus 20+ miles for heavier scooters. Consider your daily needs – a lighter may work if you need quick hops around town. Some feature removable batteries to extend distance.
- Speed – Expect max speeds of 10 to 18 mph from lightweight electric scooters. This is plenty pacey for urban use while keeping motors and batteries compact. If you want to hit 20+ mph, look for heavier-duty scooters instead.
- Budget – The good news is lightweight kick scooters are very affordable, ranging from $200 to $500 in most cases. Premium models from top brands can cost up to $800+. Rest assured, you can get excellent value without breaking the bank.
While a featherweight e-scooter may seem unintimidating, safety should still be your top priority:
- Always wear a helmet when riding – they dramatically reduce the risk of head injuries if you take a tumble. Look for a lightweight but sturdy skateboard or bicycle helmet.
- Take time to learn the local laws and regulations around electric scooters in the city where you’ll be riding. Abide by all rules of the road and paths.
- Use bike lanes whenever possible and avoid riding on crowded sidewalks. If there is no bike lane, keep to the edge of the road and watch for openings to cross safely.
- Fit your e-scooter with front and rear lights if riding at night. Reflectors also help improve visibility in low light. Wear light colored or reflective clothing as well after dark.
- Control your speed according to conditions – go slow in crowded areas and watch for potential road hazards like cracks and debris. Gradual acceleration and braking help prevent loss of control.
- Concentrate fully on your surroundings and avoid being distracted by phones or headphones while riding. Both hands on the handlebars!
After extensive hands-on testing and research, we recommend these top 5 lightweight electric scooters that balance performance, convenience, and value:
The innovative Glion Dolly lives up to its name with a clever folding design that lets you roll it along like a suitcase at just 14kg. The 15 mile range and handy vertical self-standing storage make it a great commuting companion.
- Weight: 14kg
- Speed: 15mph
- Range: 15 miles
- Wheels: 8” airless honeycomb
- Folding: Vertical with pull handle
The aptly named Swagtron High Speed model delivers speedy performance thanks to its peppy 300W motor. At just 11.5kg, the one-touch folding mechanism makes it a breeze to pack for commuting or errands around town.
- Weight: 11.5kg
- Speed: 18mph
- Range: 11 miles
- Wheels: 6” air-filled
- Folding: One-touch
The Hiboy S2 packs impressive features into its agile 8.5kg body. The integration of a 250W motor, 18.6 mile range, one-step folding, and 8 inch tires make this an exceptionally well-balanced lightweight scooter ready for urban adventures.
- Weight: 8.5kg
- Speed: 15.5mph
- Range: 18.6 miles
- Wheels: 8” solid
- Folding: One-step
As one of the most affordable options, the Gotrax GXL proves you don’t need to sacrifice portability or performance. This easy-to-carry 10kg scooter provides a smooth commute thanks to the 250W motor and one-step folding design.
- Weight: 10kg
- Speed: 15.5mph
- Range: 12.5 miles
- Wheels: 8” solid
- Folding: One-step
Razor’s E100 kick scooter proves you don’t need size or weight for a fun ride. At just 10kg, this compact electric scooter works excellent for quick trips around town at speeds up to 10mph. The kick-to-start motor and fold-down handle provide portable power.
- Weight: 10kg
- Speed: 10mph
- Range: 40 minutes
- Wheels: 8” pneumatic
- Folding: Kick lock
Comparing Key Specs of the Top 5 Lightweight E-Scooters
|Razor E100 x
Our Top 3 Picks for the Best Lightweight E-Scooters
Based on performance, convenience, and overall value, our top recommendations are:
1. Hiboy S2 – With an incredibly lightweight body plus exceptional range, the Hiboy S2 takes our top spot.
2. Glion Dolly – The clever briefcase-style design makes the Glion Dolly the ultimate in portable transportation.
3. Gotrax GXL – For shoppers on a budget, the Gotrax GXL packs great value into a lightweight package.
But you can’t go wrong with any of these agile and portable electric scooters for commuting with convenience.
FAQ About Buying and Riding Lightweight E-Scooters
Yes, lightweight scooters from reputable brands undergo rigorous safety testing. Wear a helmet and learn local scooter regulations to stay safe.
Some airlines allow transporting electric scooters if batteries are removed and properly packed. Check individual airline policies.
Lightweight kick scooters usually achieve maximum speeds between 10-18 mph – fast enough for trips around town.
Air-filled tires better absorb impacts but can get flats. Solid tires eliminate flats but the ride may feel bumpier. Evaluate your needs.
I’m the founder of HoverboardsGuide.com, a comprehensive website dedicated to electric scooters and hoverboards. With a deep-rooted passion for electric gadgets, I’ve accumulated extensive experience in this field. I aim to assist users in selecting the best gadgets and providing reliable guidance.
I’ve tested and reviewed numerous models, gaining in-depth knowledge about their features, performance, and overall quality. Feel free to reach out to me with any queries, as I’m dedicated to addressing your concerns promptly. Join me on this exciting journey of exploring the world of electric rides and making informed decisions